Saturday, March 6, 2010

Happy Purple Monkeys

I was out and about the other day and my friends husband said 'I miss Purple Monkey Dishwashers'. Apparently, folks, that's a kind of drink that the bar I used to frequent (and sort of met the cc at) makes. I don't think I have ever actually had one before, but that seems the logical place for me to pick up the name I considered for my blog. Mystery solved. I wonder if they still make them because now I am curious about them...

Moving on. I am in a bit of a lull after the Olympics. I know it is silly, and normally doesn't happen, but that seems to be where I am at. I think it is just because the Olympics were in Canada this year and there was a lot going on. Now, there doesn't seem to be anything going on! It was a lot of fun, though. There was random singing in the street, and after the hockey game the other night there were crowds of people nationwide out celebrating that we won gold. Sidney Crosby, the winning-goal scorer, lives about an hour from here and they kept showing people up that way during the course of the game. Then, later that night, we ended up near there and there were people walking down the street screaming and waving a Canadian flag. You would watch the news and there would be random crowds singing the national anthem... And, not that random half English/half French that they do for major events now. Do they not know that kids are going to start learning that and not be able to sing the song in one language?

I didn't get to watch the Closing Ceremonies on the actual night, but I did watch them on the television a couple days ago finally. I actually liked it better. It was OnDemand, or whatever that is called, and it meant that I could fast forward through the boring parts. This would be the several different national anthems and the guy that did his speech entirely in France french. The guy before him who speaks about as great French as I do was funny attempting to speak French, but the other guy I couldn't understand anyways!

I am left wondering what the Olympics will be like 2014. I will watch them, of course, but I don't think it will be as fun as it was this time around. Russia is freaking out because Canada beat them in hockey for the first time in 50 years and I guess their leader did some freaking out in general about the pathetic showing they had at the Olympics this year. He thinks it, I think just GOING to the Olympics is worthwhile! But, anyways... There is just something about the Olympics being in your own country that makes it extra-special. I had promised myself I would go this year, but it wasn't in the cards. I am determined that the next time the Olympics are in Canada I will be there for sure!

Okay, so, hopefully I can maybe write about something else now!

1 comment:

  1. 've watched the olympics all my life and always loved them.. I still remember when the summer and winter olympics were done the same year! (this way is better because you get some enjoyment every 2 yrs instead of 4) but you are right..when they are in your own country for some reason you want them to win even more then normally.. at least it feels

    ReplyDelete