Saturday, February 13, 2010

February 13, 2010 - Olympics Day 2

Last night was the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I was very excited! I had really hoped to win the lottery or something so I could afford to go, but alas, it was not meant to be. One year I will get to an Olympics. It was rather depressing that someone had to die yesterday... That started things off on a bad note! I saw the recap of his accident on the news last night and wow! It was so touching when Georgia came out with their black armbands.

For those of you that don't know, I live on the east coast of Canada in Nova Scotia. I was very happy that we had some representation last night. Ashley MacIssac, a fiddler, was the main guy for that segment. He is from Cape Breton, which is part of Nova Scotia. Then, there was Anne Murray. She is a singer from Springhill, Nova Scotia (right, fellow Nova Scotian Chris?). She was one of the people that got to carry in the flag. I imagine more fiddlers were from here, but in their strange outfits I couldn't pick them out. In case you are wondering if I hear a fiddle regularly? Yes, yes I do. My sister plays and actually her and her boyfriend are apparently putting on a concert this evening...

Anyways, I watched the Olympic opening ceremony and was on Twitter at the same time. Apparently there is a limit on how many tweets you can send. That would be the first time I knew of that! lol I normally don't even really watch the Olympics, but where it is in Canada I have to support them a bit. I have my red mittens, for example. If anyone was watching last night you will notice that a lot of the people there for Canada had them on. I got a pair for Christmas.

What about everyone else? Did anyone watch last night? What was your favourite segment and do you plan to watch some of the sports?

2 comments:

  1. I certainly did watch it and watched today too!! I love the olympics! all I can say is my favorite part was NOT when the lighting didn't go off as planned! I felt bad when that happened...but did love all the Indians way in the beginning.!! love their clothes and dances

    ReplyDelete